Tuesday 14 May 2013

National Haus Krai just me 'umble thoughts



National Haus Krai PNG: a liklik samting

I feel that I want to say something about the national haus krai for domestic violence but I’m not quite sure what it is I want to say. An organisation called Women Arise organised a haus krai across 19 provinces in PNG and internationally in the US, UK, Australia and other countries across the world. A haus krai is essentially a wake and the idea was to mourn for the many, many PNG women and children who have suffered and died from domestic violence and speak out against this brutal oppression which is sadly common place and accepted as a way of life across the country.
It has been said that this is a PNG problem that must be resolved through cultural evolution which can only come from within; the many cultures that make up PNG must develop to a point where domestic violence is eradicated because there is no longer a desire or need for members of the society to treat each other in this way.
As an outsider I can understand this view point and agree that real changes in cultural practice are responsive to a perceived need or for communal advancement in some way however I felt compelled to take part in this day of awareness for the following reasons:
·         I live here and this will be my home, my community for the next 2 years
·         Violence in PNG dramatically affects my quality of life
·         I have a voice
·         I am a woman
Unnecessary justifications maybe but made all the same I went to the John Guise Stadium in Port Moresby last night to take part in a vigil of speeches, prayer and song. It was a religious event and I am not a religious person but if having god on your side helps then so be it. ‘The church’ as an institution has the necessary networks, resources and perhaps most importantly influence to make things happen.
I was moved by the sense of solidarity and purpose and inspired by the openness of speech. One after another stories were told of brutal violence witnessed. The stories were not new to anyone and have been well reported by the media, some even around the world, but they were brought home. People were not thinking what a terrible thing… or those poor people… or even blaming the Highlanders. There was a deafening silence of people truly reflecting, overcoming the shame that is often felt by Papua New Guineans and accepting individually that yes this was their problem; not a clan, tribe, province, government or even church, they had to do something about this.

This is just a fleeting moment and life in PNG today is the same as it was yesterday but from little things… and this is my liklik contribution.

Something a bit different eh!

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment